본문으로 바로가기 주메뉴 바로가기
Welcome to Buk-gu Gwangju Metropolitan City

Eight Scenic Views of Gwangju Buk-Gu

Hwanbyeokdang Pavilion photo01

Hwanbyeokdang Pavilion

It is a typical room-type pavilion of the Namdo region, which was built by Sacheon Kim Yun-Je (1501~1572), who served as the governer of Naju, to foster younger students during his later years. It was Gwangju Metropolitan City Monument No. 1 but later raised to the status of State Designated Cultural Property No. 107 in November 6th, 2013. The pavilion, pond, Jodae, where the legend has it that Songgang Jung Chul and Kim Yun-Je met for the first time, and Yongso are included together as a scenic spot, it became to fit into the category of a ‘three scenic places in one area (Hwanbyeokdang Pavillion, Soswaewon and Sigyeongjeong). A mountain stream of the Wonhyo Valley runs nearby and crape-myrtle trees form a beautiful scenery near the Jungamcheon River under the valley, so it was called ‘Jamitan (crape-myrtle rapid)’. On the front, back, left and right side of the pavilion and pond, a pine forest and bamboo grove, and the surrounding mountains surround area like a picturesque scene so as the word ‘Hwanbyeok (blue circle), the area is literally surrounded by the blue color, forming a turquoise beautiful scenic view so this place has a beautiful natural scenic view.
The size of the building is a wooden tile-roofed house with three rooms in front and two room in the side and the pavilion was named by Shin Jam (1491~1554). The inscription tablet written by Song Si-Yeol is hung and the poetry of Im Eok-Ryung and Cho Ja-I is hung written on the board. Kim Yun-Je’s students are Jeong Chul, Kim Seong-Won and others. The Kim Deok-Ryung and Kim Deok-Bo brothers, leaders of the Righteous Armies during the Japanese Invasion of Korea in 1592 are the grandsons of him and also heavily influenced by him. Specially this place is known for the fact that Songgang Jeong Chul stayed here from when he was sixteen until he reached twenty seven, when he began to serve in the government, to study. As this is the villa garden of the Joseon Dynasty where the greatest scholars, poets and calligraphers of the era visited to enjoy the beautiful scenery and wrote poets and Gasa literature, this place has a rich historical and cultural heritage showing the typical pavilion culture of Honam.

Pungamjeong Pavilion

This is a pavilion built by Pungam Kim Deok-Bo (1571~1627), who is the younger brother of Chungjanggong Kim Deok-Ryung. Kim Deok-Bo, when the eldest brother Deok-Hong was killed in action in the battle of Geumsan and Deok-Ryung, the second eldest brother was falsely executed, was deeply saddened and built the pavilion here and lived in seclusion studying moral philosophy and experience and knowledge. The road to Pungamjeong Pavilion is a flat gravel road where the maple trees form a forest tunnel. If you walk the trail for a little while, Pungamje reservoir appears. It is not big, but the full jade colored water makes one to feel as if in a deep valley without any human traces. Pungamjeong Pavilion can be seen in its elegant view if you cross the valley and step on the rock to climb it. It looks smaller and tidy probably due to the fact that it is nearly hidden by pine trees and rocks. Kim Deok-Bo continued to foster younger students and finished the remainder of his life here. The poems of Im Eok-Ryung, Go Gyeong-Myung, Ahn Bang-Jun, etc. hung on the wall of Pungamjeong Pavilion show that he interacted with numerous poets and calligraphers. Pungamjeong Pavilion is built on top of the rock on the stream bank. On the right side there is Pungamje reservoir and on the left side there is the scenic view along with the ridge of Mudeungsan Mountain. The valley water that never dries up is one irreplaceable scenic view that makes the pavilion beautiful. The babbling stream becomes a gigantic stream when it rains. When the water heats the rocks and forms white spray it becomes scenic beauty you cannot miss.
Pungamjeong Pavilion photo01